Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Age isn't so bad.

As children, adults constantly remind us that time moves fast and for us to enjoy the moment. At first the concept ‘fast’ feels completely foreign to us. You mean fast like when I ride on my huffy? Then we hit our teenage years and fast feels quite slow. I want to drive. I want to drink. We enjoy our small freedoms, but the grass truly feels greener on the other side.

Some of us may look at the adults around us and then stare blankly into the mirror and think, I wonder if I will know when I am older. You examine pictures of your parents in their youth and compare it to what they look like now. How can the skin stretch so? How can we turn into something so different? We consciously try to mature yet remain young…. but we fail.

Time moves and the birthdays add up. No longer does that date that was circled so heavily and waited upon so anxiously carry as much optimism. It turns on us and becomes a date we dread, fear and try to ignore.

In a week I turn 27 and I would like to change my own mentality. I have always felt that after 21, it is just another date. This year, I have decided to embrace it.

So in spirit of my birthday, a special thanks is in order.

Thank you Philipe age 2 for embracing brotherhood and welcoming Gaby into your world. The kingdom you ruled solo would have been boring without her.
Thank you Philipe age 7 for reminding me that $10 can feel like $1000.
Thank you Philipe age 14 for introducing me to Priscilla and beginning a life-long adventure.
Thank you Philipe age 16 for learning to drive and allowing me to begin my path to freedom and independence.
Thank you Philipe age 18 for traveling the world and bursting my bubble.
Thank you Philipe age 22 for getting an education.
Thank you Philipe age 24 for tackling fatherhood so you can realize those amazing first moments of joy in Camille.
Thank you Philipe age 27 for realizing that there is still a lot to life. Age can be good.

I remember my Dad saying to me, "I wouldn't trade my 36 for your 13". As he grew older, he would continue to say this and I always chuckled. This could not be true, but now I get it.

1 comment:

  1. As we age we mature and looking at life this way is much better for us. We should embrace the fact that we are maturing and seeing life in a different perspective. I once had a professor who said that as we age we see a different side of the face of God. I think this is true not only as we see Him but as we see life itself. Great article.

    ReplyDelete